Subject: [Leica] DR CLA -nice
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Mon Nov 1 10:37:31 2004

Last week my Summicron-DR returned from Leica in NJ. The aperture blades
were starting
to stick, so she went in for a CLA. They did a nice job, blackened the
blades,
cleaned and lubed everything etc., all for $150 bucks.

I've shot about 6 rolls with it since it got back, and can actually see a
significant
difference in performance.

The most obvious difference is the greatly increased flare suppression. It
used to
be that if I shot straight in to the sun, I would get a glare across the
frame. That's
gone. Images also look sharper, but I'm also attributing that to the higher
contrast,
resulting from the haze being cleaned out and the blades being blackened
(less scatter).

It's interesting to see the DR as Leica intended it. In comparison to
contemporary designs
it really must have been an eye opener, when it was introduced. Even today
it's one heck
of a piece of glass.

Feli

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] DR CLA -nice)