Subject: [Leica] A Surprisingly Good Lens: Now M3 close focus
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Thu Oct 28 06:54:28 2004

Simple adjustment easily made BUT it may also require the rangefinder
arm length adjusted so that the rangefinder is accurate through out its
travel.

Here is a photo (courtesy of Terence Cheung) showing the various
adjusters:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album81/m6

To allow the rangefinder arm to follow the lens cam to a closer focus
point, simply bend the metal tab which will let the rangefinder arm
travel "out" of the lens mount a little bit more.

ATTENTION ATTENTION

Make DAMN sure the rangefinder arm stops on the external stop. You do
not want it to be hitting internally in the rangefinder mech. Most M3s
are easily adjusted to 0.7m. A few, however, will stop internally
before you get to 0.7m. That is the best you can do with those cameras
and be sure to tweak the tab back a bit so it it the stop doing its
job.

ATTENTION ATTENTION

Personally I would get a good Leica tech to do the work. It is easy for
them to double check the rangefinder's accuracy at the same time.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] A Surprisingly Good Lens: Now M3 close focus)
Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] A Surprisingly Good Lens)