Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 42: NY/NJ/PA
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Oct 26 21:55:49 2004

We spent most of the past 2 weeks in the US, first 3 days in the NY/NJ
area and then a week in Florida, visiting family and showing the
children their birthplaces (Princeton and Tampa, respectively). The week
42 images are all from the northern leg of the trip. We stayed near
Piscataway, NJ, and Friday the 15th we drove to Princeton and then
Philadelphia. The images are presented chronologically rather than in
order of "quality".

In mid-NJ, we drove along Route 206 which used to be my commute when we
lived there. The scenery is kind of ugly, with strip malls dominating
the landscape. This being the season, we drove past the following
display (note that the witch seems to have some reservations about the
Republican ticket):
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42.jpg

Once in Princeton, there was not a Bush/Cheney sign to be seen,
certainly not on the campus of the university, where this sign is much
more representative of the political climate:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt1.jpg

In Philadelphia, the highlight of the day was having lunch with Jim and
Kyle (unfortunately, Kyle did not bring any of his girlfriends):
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt2.jpg

We then followed their advice and walked to the Reading Terminal Market,
meeting this friendly T-shirt vendor on the way:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt3.jpg

We absolutely loved the market, both the food and the ambiance, as
exemplified by this elderly gentleman playing the piano, and the other
two singing along:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt4.jpg

The next day we were out and about in New York all day, unfortunately
with no time to meet fellow LUGgers there. I had last been to NYC in
June 2001; besides the obvious hole in the city's skyline, another
difference was the much higher presence of police and other security,
like here, outside St. Patrick's Cathedral:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt5.jpg

Finally, a couple of more benign canine pictures, both snapped in
Manhattan:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt6.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_42alt7.jpg

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments/critique are as always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands