Subject: [Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Oct 25 02:33:55 2004

On 10/24/04 10:37 PM, "Dan C" <bladman99@yahoo.ca> typed:

> The problem is that when you use a good upsampling routine to make a 4 foot
> by 6 foot image, people look at it and say, "wow what a beautiful
> photograph" (assuming you began with a small, beautiful photograph), they
> don't notice the made up pixels or whatever.   So all the theory about how
> you can't get something from nothing goes down the drain.
>
> The technique simply works.  And a good tools for making huge prints is
> Qimage, which comes with a whole slew of upsampling routines, including
> bicubic, but also significantly better ones.  And all for about 50 bucks
> with free upgrades forever.
>
> -dan c.

But I also here that you can make incredibly large images from incredibly
small files. So it's possible they're far less necessary than people may
think. Maybe.

Holy Mandelbrot! Has anyone ever done a comparison test on a large print
that was NOT factually up sampled?
Side by Side with the fractious one?

Smiling?

Mark Rabiner