Subject: [Leica] new photos
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Oct 24 10:41:50 2004

Didier Ludwig wrote:
> Phong,
> That's because the gallery is made with Macromedia Flash. Whats
> inconvenient for most users (like you), can be conveniant for the
> copyright
> owner that is having his images a little bit better protected
> (but you can
> still capture a screenshot to copy it). Though I'm assistant
> professor for
> exactly Macromedia Flash, I mostly prefer html gallerys for photographs,
> especially for showing to list members.
>
> But I still prefer a Flash gallery to dominant and ugly copyright claims
> placed in the middle of a photograph, like some of us do.

Hello Didier,

You are correct about Philippe's site using Macromedia Flash.
My comment goes beyond the specific technoly used though.
For example, HTML pages using frames also makes it harder
to cut and paste the URL of a particular image, as the browser
typically displays the URL of the frame.

I well understand the issue of copyright, and copy protection.
Still, if you want to solicit comments and critiques of your work,
I think you would want to make it as easy as possible for the viewer
to do so.

I hates copyright watermarks in the middle of the images. La encore,
it is a necessary evil, so I try to be discrete to copyright claims, but
feel they are necessary as "due diligence" for my subjects, who have
given me rights to display their photos.  It is at least as much about
protecting their rights as it is about protecting mine.

Example of discrete copyright notice, as well as ease of directing
to URL of single image, as well discreetly directly viewers to more
of my work  ("shameless self-promotion):      :-)
http://www.pbase.com/phong/image/3012611

More comments on how others try to resolve this issue are welcome.

Cheers,

- Phong

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] new photos)