Subject: [Leica] Here we go, RD-1 in the US
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Oct 22 18:18:47 2004

I was, not shockingly, Richard, being sarcastic. My only point was that
it seems pretty silly to suggest that the camera sucks, and is therefore
not worth $2900, but it's worth spending $1500 on. If it sucks, it's not
work spending a nickel on. If it's reasonably good, THEN the question is
whether it's worth spending the asking price to get into digital
rangefinding.

That said, I suspect your right with the parallels to the Hexar debate.
I have allot of respect for Henning, and if he says the camera had allot
of problems, I assume it did. On the other hand, we've heard allot of
positive things from a number of other heavy hitters whom I also
respect.

I fully understand your wanting to make use of your M lenses, and stay
in the rangefinder world. For some time I've had my feet in both worlds,
and would like to be able to do that with digital as well. I, too, am
very tempted by the RD-1 at under 3K - I would NOT be tempted by a
digital M at over $4 because I'm not prepared to pay that for a single
camera body - particularly for a manual focus, less than full-frame
digital body. But that's my decision; it's pretty obvious allot of
people will feel quite differently.

B. D.