Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Camera distributed by Leica Switzerland
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Oct 19 07:47:52 2004

>Funny, on their web page it's not Hasselblad who is the Swedish
>distributor in Sweden. In Switzerland it is no other than Leica Camera AG
>:) (LUG related)

Thats true, as Leica Camera AG Switzerland is older than (and not owned by)
the newer Leica Solms company, and it traditionally represents Leica,
Hasselblad, Minox, Metz and Linhof in Switzerland.  But there will
certainly be a loyalty conflict for them; it's possible Solms tries to
force them to give the Zeiss Ikon business to another company.

But Solms is in a weak position for that. Switzerland has the relatively
highest Leica-density (number of cameras per people, same can be said for
Porsches, Hermes and other stuff:-), and the highest Leica prices worldwide
- a M7 or MP body costs CHF4995 incl. 7.6% VAT, thats $4062 compared to
$2500-$3000 in the US; and as there's no local grey market here, I've never
seen a shop going under these recommended prices. If someone knows better
about a cheaper swiss Leica shop - please tell me!

Didier

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Zeiss Ikon Camera body and Hasselblad)