Subject: OT [Leica] Cloud Cuckoo Land
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sat Oct 16 12:17:55 2004

>US involvement, in Europe after Germany declared war on the US in December
>1941, made very little difference to the ultimate outcome.

That's not quite accurate. England was starving and on the verge of
surrender. I'm in no way disparaging British determination or courage
but the "Lend-Lease" program and massive influx of foodstuffs and
equipment from the US quite possibly kept them in the war. The actions
that FDR took to help the Allies - especially the British - can't be
ignored as insignificant.

Attacking the USSR was Hitler's single most stupid move of the war.
Thinking he was a better tactician than his generals was his second
worst mistake. At the same time that the US was pumping massive amounts
of aid into England, we were also supplying Russia with essential goods
that may have made the difference between defeat and ultimate victory.
The USSR would never admit it but those are the facts.

Walker