Subject: [Leica] Cloud Cuckoo Land & Yankee Bashing
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Fri Oct 15 22:09:49 2004

Tim Atherton writes in part:

> Hey Alberta's running a massive surplus from selling oil,
> electricity and natural gas south of the border -  hmm is that you doing
> that
> Greg... didn't California complain you had been taking advantage of their
> energy
> addiction,naughty boy

Tim,

In early 1990 California unilaterally broke the Alberta & PGT Long Term
Agreement where Alberta had agreed to supply California over 1,000 mmcf a
day of Alberta's natural gas. The price was approximately $3.00 US/gj and
the contract guaranteed gas deliveries at this level until 2005.

As a result, the price for our natural gas immediately fell by 1/3.
California consumers saw virtually no reduction in price at the burner tip.
Look at the price that natural gas is selling for in California today. We
get the last laugh. BTW, sorry no more long-term guaranties!

I not certain about electricity sales going south. I believe all such sales
go west into BC. BC may be selling electricity south though.

> (and I think so far we have actually managed not to commodify
> water under
> NAFTA? - a few have tried though. Which basically means it isn't
> for sale
> yet....!)

NAFTA or not, all commodities are for sale...at the right price.

Regards,

Greg