Subject: [Leica] Cloud Cuckoo Land & Yankee Bashing
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Oct 15 20:19:11 2004

At 04:09 PM 10/15/04 -0600, John Collier wrote:
>Please remember the large number of "Canadian, British, French, German,
>Italian, Spanish, et alii siblings" who have been quietly talking about
>Leicas.

John

I really appreciate this pont  But that does not stop the whingings from
those in Europe and Asia who wish to condemn the US for its foreign policy.
 I have my own problems with the US foreign policy but, then, I am a
citizen of the Great Republic and resolve my diferences by speaking with
the offices of my Representative, Senator, and President.  (Though, to be
fair, I seem to run into my Representative every month of two on these
streets around here, and Bob always lets me bend his ear for a bit.)

The bottom line is this:  if you're not paying the freight, then be
grateful and shut up.  The US is currently bearing around 80% of the
defense funds for most of the smaller European nations and the British, and
bless them for this, are paying for the training costs for the Canadian
military as their own government spurns even the smallest payment to what
was, at D-Day, a war-winnng force.

Times are tight and money is tight.  So be it:  this is the norm for the
human existence.  But miliary expenses are a necessary partt of national
survival and the European neglect for this, other than the French
production of its Force de Frappe (I would do this in French but, alas, I
can never figure out which way those accent marks should run).  In other
words, the Europeans are pikers, for the all of it, and espect Cousin
Jonathan to continue to bail them out for their own stupidities and to be
glad to do so.

Alas, but Cousin Jonathan is now unwilling to pay the tab and is MUCH more
disinclined to listen to a raft of shit about this.

We rescued your butts, guys, and did so at a grand sacrifice of human life.
 Give us a break and be most reasonable:  in the end, we saved your butts
three times and did so willingly.  In respectful memory of that, you should
now grin and bear it when the US adopts a policy with whcih you disagree.

And , for that matter, when have I ever posted a note here in contravention
of a policy adopted by a European nation?  The quick anwer is "never" as I
simply do not believe that a private US citizen should do such as a matter
of course.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!