Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 15 17:10:38 2004

.

> The only reason that 'crop factor' is meaningful, really, is because it
> is in general easier to design a particular lens having a particular
> resolution, etc. when the coverage is less. For example the Schneider
> Super Symmar XL 150/5.6 -- considered an *exceptional* super wide angle
> for the 8x10 format ... aspheric yada yada yada, with lots and lots of
> lpmm **for 8x10** but if you were to slap this on a 35mm it would be a
> downright dud ... super expensive, slow, low resolution etc.
>
> So basically for the APS-c factor you are 'paying for' a 35mm format
> lens but only the APS-c lpmm.
>
> Jonathan

Yes but you don't say a 35mm format lens is sharper than a medium format
lens because of the "crop factor".

You say it's sharper because inherently in a smaller image circle a lens is
going to be sharper - by it's very nature.
I guess we could drive each other crazy with semantics here.
But nothing is being cropped.
It's an orange instead of an apple.

I don't want to be accused of being anti semantic!!!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/