Subject: [Leica] No Crop Factor (was: Say Hello to Hermes Leica ANDcropfactor)
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Fri Oct 15 02:33:43 2004

Frank Filippone wrote:
> Theoretically impossible.... meaning there have been types of technologies
> that have been tried to get to get semiconductor chips closer together.
> Mostly these ideas have failed.

Frank,

Is it really theoretically impossible ?  If so,
why do those people even tried ?  Or is this
a new theory, developed since then ?

Regarding Marc's original question, I guess it depends
a lot, if not totally, on what you mean by stitching.  In any
case,  I remember reading somewhere (on the internet, undoubtedly,
so caveat lector)  that the Canon EOS 1Ds uses 2 sensors
to cover the 24mmx36mm area, and some of those cameras show
very slight variation in colors and noise on the two sides of the
resulting captured images.  May be true, may be a nasty rumour put
out by a jealous Nikon user, (or even by Nikon themselves :-)  )
who knows ?

Cheers,

- Phong