Subject: [Leica] M7 Digital
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Sun Oct 10 17:07:09 2004

Luis & Brian,

A digital Leica which takes M lenses will certainly NOT be an M7 or any
other M as we know it. My best guess is that it might resemble a king-sized
CL so as to have room for all the electronics and sensor. This item might
be of some value to a pro who could get it to pay for itself over time, but
I imagine it will cost more than two current M bodies. Since I shoot maybe
50 - 100 rolls each year, film is a far more economical proposition.

Also, anyone who dreams that a digital M will be remotely like making
pictures with a real M will be very disappointed since this "machine" can
hardly be "svelte" and elegant in use. Commercial prints and high-res scans
work fine for me with some of the latest emulsions. Just look at the DMR.
It's HUGE!!!

We all know that pros need digital capture to meet deadlines. I'm beginning
to wonder whether there might be a digital backlash in the consumer segment
in the near future when the average user finds his/ her files irreparably
corrupted and when all the prints they made on their home printers turn
black. :-)

Regards,

William