Subject: [Leica] Re:one more time
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 15:26:39 2004

if you wind the shutter after the shutter has closed but before that little
buzzing sound has completely stopped you will do no harm at all -- that
sound
(described in the leica manual as the sound of a marble bouncing on a table,
sort of) is a weak spring bringing the slow speed delay gear back into place
after having delayed the second shutter. It is independent of the wind
function.
If you tried to wind and fire before it was done the worst that would happen
would be that the delay might not be as long as it should since ur engaging
the
gear before it is fully rewound, if you get the picture. Just winding, then
taking another picture at the normal pace, gives it plenty of time to
complete
it's little job, no sweat.

Listening to that little gear operate after firing the shutter at 1/15th
second is a good way to judge the health of your shutter -- it is a weaker
spring
than the drive spring and should make a slow buzz but nice and smooth until
it
quits. Any hesitation or intermittancy is a sign that one of the weaker
links
in the chain is getting gummy, which means the rest is too, you just haven't
noticed yet. Time for a service.

You didn't ask, but you might wonder what would happen if you wound the
shutter before the second curtain had closed -- i have no idea why you would
want
to do that except in idle experimentation anyway, but if you did I suspect
it
wouldn't hurt anything.

On the other hand, we'll never know until some quick handed person tries.
You
first?

c trentelman

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Re:one more time)