Subject: [Leica] new posting, old images
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun Oct 10 09:26:42 2004

Thanks for everyone?s comments on the blues pictures, both on and
offlist.  I agree that the picture of Calicott is a better portrait, but
the one of Furry Lewis was chosen for publication because of the guitar
content, and because Furry was better known than Joe.  I?ve already told
this story to some offlist, but I?ll repeat it here for the group:  Furry
is in his pajamas, after an afternoon nap, as I recall.  It?s hard to see
in the photo, but he has only one leg.  The left one was lost in a railroad
accident.  I asked him if the cat was male or female.  He gave me a dirty
look and said, ?Female.  That cat sleeps with me.  I don?t sleep with no
kind of man.?  You can also see his shotgun leaning against the wall.

The technical shortcomings of the picture don't bother me that much ? I
just like the story behind it.  Interestingly, I was able to make a much
better print of the somewhat thin negative from the scan in Photoshop than
I was ever able to make with wet chemistry.  If anyone missed them the
first time around, the pictures are at:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/Phils-LTM-photos/Calicott_small>http://gallery.leica-users.org/Phils-LTM-photos/Calicott_small
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Phils-LTM-photos/Furry_3small

The published version (of Furry) runs a page and a quarter across the fold,
cropped on the left (alas) to better fit the layout.  It will be in Guitar
World Acoustic magazine, scheduled to hit the newsstands on November 9.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085