Subject: [Leica] More about the 75mm
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Oct 9 17:56:58 2004

Luis Ripoll wrote:
> I would like read your opinions as said for the 75, a
> good replacement for the 50 & 90?

Hello Luis,

The 50mm is my favorite lens.
But if I go out with 2 lenses the 35 Summilux Apsh
+ 75mm Summilux was my favorite combination.
And it makes a formidable system for low-light
photography.

The only thing I dislike about the 75mm in the Leica
M is that it is very easy to forget to frame with the 75mm
frame lines and use instead the 50mm frame lines instead.
A mistake I kept making when I use the 50mm and 75mm
in succession.

Also, I find 35mm @ f1.4 a ttile more useful than
50mm @ 1.4, which in turn is a little more
useful than 75mm @ 1.4 because I need
a fast lens indoors more often than I need
it outdoors, and inddors, a wide lens is more
more useful than a long lens.

Also, for me, If I could have only one lens,
I would choose the 50mm, with a 35mm a reluctant possibility.
I would be markedly less happy with anything else, including
the 75mm.

Anyway, each Leica lens at different focal lengths
has its own use, so it depends a lot on how you photograph,
close, far, low light, etc.  To quote te Delphi oracle,
the asnwer is "know thyself", as always.

I had to sell my 75mm last year, but in time, I am sure
I will get it again (same with 24mm).  The good news is that
with the dropping prices of film camera, I may be able to
buy them at 1/2 the price.  What a deal !   :-)

Cheers,

- Phong

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] More about the 75mm)