Subject: [Leica] Re: minimal
From: jplaurel at nwlink.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Sat Oct 9 13:59:21 2004

This only matters for domestic flights where TSA has jurisdiction.  And
even then, it doesn't REALLY matter because the airlines have the final
say as to what you can carry on.  But US domestic carriers are very
liberal as it is, in my view.  The problem is with international travel
where you are often limited to 8kg of carry-on weight (which they weigh
at the counter AND the gate).  As I wrote in a previous post, you are
over 8kg with the bare essentials to do your average editorial job.
That's the problem.   We ALWAYS assume that none of our checked bags
will ever be seen again.  And you absolutely must have the bare minimum
with you to do your job.  That's when you have to cheat just to get by.
  My carry-on is about around 12kg, just 4kg over the usual limit.  I
get around this by slinging the 1Ds with 70-200 2.8L over my shoulder,
and throwing the spare battery and charger into a pocket.

Challenging anyone at an airport these days, for any reason whatsoever,
especially in the United States, is a recipe for getting onto a no fly
list.  Talking to customer service personnel as suggested in Mr.
Mopsik's letter is about as productive as talking to their websites.
Just keep your mouth shut, put on your most vacant smile, bend over
when ordered to do so and don't attract attention to yourself.  We have
no choice but to suck this up and try to get by as best we can.

--Jim

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: minimal)
Message from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: minimal)