Subject: [Leica] The Times Have Changed
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Oct 5 10:34:44 2004

Tom Schofield OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] The Times Have Changed

>>I even put a roll or two of P3200 in the baggie to satisfy them when they
>>get grumpy and ask if I have
> film over ISO 800.  They're pretty surprised I do. <,,,,,

Hi Tom,
And then the guy says to me, 'Well take them out and we'll send the rest
through the scanner!" Surprise and that's another one. They hand checked the
3200's like they were gold with swabs, visual inspection back and forth end
over end. I figured the next move was going to be to pry the caps off and
look inside. :-(

>I usually unload the cameras, put the film in a zip-lock bag, and let them
>x-ray the camera bag to their heart's content.  I can always reload on the
>plane if I want to take pics out the window.  <,,,

You know it's like I've given up, as it's easier to join 'em to think you
can beat them. "What the hell, who cares, do your thing!" I've had loaded
cameras go through with the ASA dial set to 800 then gone onto the shoot,
used it and not a mark even when the film was souped for 800!  So I look at
it as, "KISS it baby.!" .. Apart from the very odd time I have 3200 or film
up-rated and used at 3200, I just throw it all down on the table and let
them do their thing!

And when I have film in freezer bags I take that out and put it down and let
them make-up their own minds what to do. I found often they'll say, "We'll
have a look at this over here." And walk away and when you've cleared the
machine the person with your film bags is waiting for you to come over while
they spend 20 minutes swabbing every individual roll. And by swabbing every
roll, once again illustrates they're poorly trained. Simply because sticking
the swab in the bag once and shaking it up, not to forget it's been well
shaken during your trip to the airport, therefore any "explosive materials"
would've permeated the entire bag before you arrive at the security point.

So it's a complete wasting of time and effort to scan each roll individually
because if there's one roll in a bag of 50 rolls with bad stuff, it'll show
up as soon as the first swab goes in the bag!.

> But since 9/11 they seem to retaliate for requesting hand-inspection of
> even the film baggie by putting the rest of me through the detailed search
> 3 times.  Last time I used an old baggie which registered on the nitrate
> sniffer, so they re-sniffed each film can individually, and entered me
> into their database. I can't wait till the next time I fly.
> ;-)<<<<<<<<<,

Well yes it's strange what they do at one location compared to another.
However, at times they know something the travelling public do not, so
they're looking for something special even though at times security appears
being run by the nation's rejected morons of the world, it isn't at all. As
it comes down to they're doing the best job they can under unfortunate
circumstances. So we could all give them a break and just learn to live with
the facts of security life and KISS it!

ted

Message from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] The Times Have Changed)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] The Times Have Changed)