Subject: [Leica] Zeiss faq on lens quality
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Tue Oct 5 08:24:04 2004

> On 10/3/04 2:17 PM, "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> typed:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Q: What is the resolving power of the ZI lenses?
>> A: Very high and clearly above the resolution limits set by today's
>> colour
>> film and/or scanning devices.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> In the various Leica lens reviews it is often stated that the best Leica
>> lenses exceed the recording capabilities of slow film.
>> This suggests to me that their lenses while very good are not as good as
>> the
>> best from Leicas.
>> simon jessurun
>

> Yes but as Erwin just said I think the gap between what the lens companies
> say about their glass and how the glass objectively tests out varies.
> The Zeiss (credibility) gap has always been the smallest.
> Their stuff will test out even better than what they imply perhaps.
> While the other companies you divide by two and round it out even lower.
>
> Not so now as this Zeiss 400 spec seems seems ridiculous and is not likely
> to be born out.
>
> Will they somehow be better for digital than other glass?
>
> Have they been better corrected for focus shift as you stop down than
> other
> glass?
>
> Lets hope their hype department has not taken over. It was the last glass
> company where this was not the case. Other than Leica I hope.
>
> Mark Rabiner
> Photography
> Portland Oregon
> http://rabinergroup.com/

I interpreted Erwins words slightly different.Maybe because we are both
infected with the same throat disease.
I thought that he ment that the claim is ridiculous and the hype department
had taken over.
I thought the focus shift was only a factor with the Noctilusses in the M
range.
We,ll see eventually.
simon jessurun
amsterdam