Subject: [Leica] Heavy Metal, was New Zeiss Ikon
From: JohnEdwinMason at gmail.com (J Mason)
Date: Mon Oct 4 10:35:12 2004

Chris is right:

>I don't believe the Contax IIa (or even IIIa), Nikon S2, or Canon P
>are heavier than the M3 or M2.

Succumbing to a fit of nostalgia brought on by the introduction of the
new Zeiss Ikon, I spent much of the weekend shooting with one of my
Contax IIIa's (with 50/1.5).  Also ran a roll through my M2.  The
Contax is certainly no heavier than the M2 and is probably a few grams
lighter.

I do love the Contax.  I can remember the day in 1959 when my
immensely proud father brought one home.  He had begun life on a small
farm in southern Virginia, as region where the impoverishment of the
African American community and the racism of the white community
resembled Mississippi at its worst.  He had worked his way through
high school and college and reached the point where he could purchase
one of the finest cameras being made.  An indulgence to some extent,
but one that was richly deserved.

It was (and is) a remarkable camera.  A lens that was gorgeous to
behold and capable of producing stunning images.  (Something that was
not wasted on my father, a fine photographer.)  A body that was both
beautifully engineered and meticulously crafted.  Sturdy and reliable.
 (Have never had a problem with either of my two IIIa's.  Shutter
curtains are just fine, thank you very much.  Even the self-timers
still work perfectly.)

But, as I was reminded this weekend, it's just not as nice a camera to
shoot with as the M2 or M3.  The problems start with the squinty
viewfinder, continue through the absence of framelines (what you see
through the finder is what you get with a 50), and end somewhere
around the winding knob (rather than thumb lever), the overly fussy
focusing mechanism, and the lack of click stops of the lens (it's easy
to change the aperture inadvertently).

That sounds too much like complaining.  I shot five rolls over the
last couple days and had a ball.  Working around the limitations is
immensely satisfying.  And fun.  And did I mention that lens?

--John

--
J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia