Subject: [Leica] James Nachtwey
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Oct 3 08:44:58 2004

Frank Dernie said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] James Nachtwey

> Wow. If television has taken the place of photojournalism it certainly
> does not have the same emotional power. We hear about the tragedy in
> Darfur every day but this makes it much more real. How screwed up the
> world is.<<<<,
See: http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101041004/photoessay/

Hi Frank,
I don't think TV will ever accomplish the impact of powerful B&W photography
when it comes to subjects of this nature.

TV is moving, as in "it's only a movie" and flicks past in seconds and out
of our minds as the commercial comes on showing some sweet Hollywood broad
with belly button pierced flogging whatever it is these gals flog. And with
no relationship to the previous moments of Death in Darfur!

But the B&W still? It sits there right in your face until you turn the page
or change the computer screen.

It allows viewers to look at every element and detail of what these human
beings are going through.  It's photography like this that should be right
in the face of every UN delegate every morning as they're drinking their
coffee and enjoying their toasted sweet cinnamon bun.  Sorry wont start a
rant about that !

And would Natchwey's pictures be more powerful with a Leica in hand? Nope!
He get's a very powerful message across with whatever gear he uses. Pointing
out once again... "it isn't the gear it's the guy or gal using it!"

A borrowed quotation:

"There isn't anything more powerful than a big black and white photograph.

It does something that television can never do!"

HARRY REASONER.....................

I thought the quotation appropriate for the moment!.

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] James Nachtwey AND MICHAEL HINTLIAN)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] James Nachtwey)