Subject: [Leica] Epson DR 1 Second Report
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Fri Oct 1 07:18:46 2004

Hi Luggers,
I am getting to know my RD 1 a little better. First, I have solved the
Epson RAW plug in access problem and getting rid of vignetting on the
15mm Heliar with the touch of a button is a great improvement over
doing it manually in Photoshop. I will try to post some beforeand after
pictures in the next day or so.

  Second, despite the rangefinder mis- alignment, I am able to focus
accurately all of my Leica lenses ? including my 90mm APO, at close
range and I am also able to use my Konica 21 / 35 Dual lens (in other
words no back focus incompatibility) . I think the Konica lens will
make a good street alternative to the Tri Elmar,.Of course the 35 ?Lux
Asph is the lens for low light work. Shooting in RAW takes a lot of
recording space  - 47 pictures on a  512 card.

Third, despite the protection of the shutter, it is possible to get
dust on the sensor. There is no instruction in the instruction book
about cleaning it ? but I just set the shutter speed on B, opened the
shutter with the lens off and blew away the dust. No problem so far.

Finally, the instruction book is in English and it lists the Epson
office in the United States as a point of contact for help so I guess
Epson is going to sell the camera  there eventually.

Cheers
Howard (in Hong Kong)