Subject: [Leica] Fishing without bait.
From: deveney.marty at saugov.sa.gov.au (Deveney, Marty (PIRSA))
Date: Sun Sep 26 22:42:54 2004

Marc wrote:

>and soon pulled up two brownies and a brookie --
>a Brown Trout is not a true trout but it tastes great, nonetheless.

A brown trout (Salmo trutta) *is* a true (= European) trout (as is,
confusingly, an Atlantic salmon), whereas a brook trout (Salvelinus
fontinalus) is a char and a rainbow `trout` (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is more
closely related to the Pacific salmon like coho and chinook than to the
species in the genus Salmo.

They are all members of the (Family) Salmonidae.

>I do not believe that I have eaten better, before or since.

I cooked a brown trout beside a tiny stream in Tasmania earlier this year
and agree wholeheartedly.  On the weekend I had hon-meguro ootoro, often
known to cost horrendous amounts of money in the Tsukiji Fish Markets in
Tokyo.  Karen Nakamura can probably tell us about the going rate in Tokyo
restaurants.

>And there are folks who fish salt-water with flies though I find this
>absolutely incomprehensible:  they must have flies the size of pigeons and
>a leader of 75-pound line!

Depends what you fish for - heavier trout gear like you might use in a lake
is fine for the bonefish of Kiribati, which I intend to capture some of and
photograph with my Leica some day - bringing this back on topic.  I have
seen some guys fish for billfish with flies with gear that you could use to
pull stumps out of a paddock.

Marty (for whom fish form a living)