Subject: [Leica] FW: NPPA: A Message from Dirck Halstead about Eddie Adams
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Sep 18 16:12:54 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: NPPA  general membership announcements <marketing@nppa.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:12:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: drb@mit.edu

A MESSAGE TO THE NATIONAL PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS:

By Dirck Halstead

Eddie Adams is dying.

Normally, this would be whispered.

In this case, there is no point.

Eddie has ALS  - "Lou Gehrig's Disease." It isn't his fault. He didn't
do anything to get it. It just happens. It is terminal. Period.

He first noticed the symptoms a year ago; since then, his decline has
been inexorable. He has the kind that starts in his head, as opposed to
the variety that killed Black Star's Howard Chapnik, which started in
his feet. The good news is that by starting in the head, the disease
gives the victim a lot less time to suffer.

He is now on a respirator. He is fully cognizant, and would do anything
to go to the Eddie Adams Workshop next month. I doubt he will.

He can't talk anymore. His vocal cords are frozen. So he can't take
phone calls.

The Digital Journalist (http://digitaljournalist.org) will devote much
of its October issue to Eddie's work and life.

My only hope is that he will still be able to see it.

For Eddie, news photography has been his life. There was never a fiercer
competitor. I know - I was on the other end.

Two decades ago, he decided to establish the Eddie Adams Workshop. Its
purpose was to train young photojournalists and take them to the next
level. He leaned on his friends at Kodak and Nikon to fund it. He has
probably been a greater influence in shaping young photographers' lives
than anyone I can think of. When funding was short, Eddie reached into
his own pocket to make these workshops happen.

Many young photographers don't even know who he is. Let me make it
simple. He took the picture that changed the course of the Vietnam
War: General Loan shooting a VC who had just killed some of Loan's men.
Eddie hated that picture. He knew Loan, and walked through the dangerous
streets of 1968 with him. In later years, Eddie spent a lot of time with
the general. But there were so many other pictures - the Vietnam refugee
boatlift, pictures of America in transition, and the years of covers for
PARADE of virtually every major cultural icon we have.

Thousands of you owe Eddie a card. Don't wait. Just send one today,
telling him how you feel. However, please do not send get-well cards, or
maudlin messages. Just send Eddie words of warm appreciation or
remembrances.

This is one of those chances to express appreciation that rarely comes
in a person's life.

If you don't do it, you will join his everlasting SHIT LIST. (I know. I
have been on it for years!)

Send cards to:

Eddie & Alyssa Adams
538 East 11th Street
New York, N.Y., 10009

Dirck Halstead is the Editor and Publisher of The Digital Journalist,
the online monthly magazine for photojournalism.

He received the NPPA's Joseph Sprague Award this year for his lifetime
contributions to photojournalism.

Sent to drb@mit.edu

To manage your preferences follow this link:
http://app.bronto.com/x/manage.php?id=1214434_323c9028_33303