Subject: [Leica] Ted Grant On Lens Switching
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Sep 17 18:40:05 2004

At 06:55 PM 9/16/04 -0700, Ted Grant wrote:
>John Collier said:
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on lens switching
>

>> Leica recommends that you shade the camera with your body when changing
>> lenses in bright sun. I have had no problems myself.<<<<
>
>Holy humpin cat fish, now I find out after 40 plus years of using Leica! ;-)

Ted

First. this suggestion is rather a basic one which is included in most
camera IB's.

Second, weren't you the guy who first suggested the idea of a 35mm camera
to Oskar Barnack?  I recognize that you were then in late middle age, but
still ... you SHOULD recall those days as brilliantly as you do that day in
1789 when you photographed those Montgolfier brothers with that very first
balloon.  (Being Canadian -- and thus by-definition bilingual -- I am sure
that the Parisian mob merely regarded you as eccentric and not as a
dangerous agent from Albion Perfide, a charge you could easily refute by
pointing out that your home was in a section of North America not yet to be
settled for another forty years or so.)

Of course, on the downslope, Lagavulin did not yet exist in 1789 but I
suspect that your investigation of the holdings of various Cheap Frog Dives
(You have told me of your days with Maurice and Jean and the rest of the
unwashed rabble watching you with drooling jowls while you chowed down on
that blancpain cake and left them with nothing but those vin ordinaire
squeezings from the bottom of that Last Cask From Hell) at the nonce would
have exposed you to some rather interesting Brandies, especially those
pot-still Armagnacs, a delightful swill to enjoy after a hard day on the
pav? shooting large-format glass plates of those brothers and their flying
machine.

Aren't you approaching your 250th birthday?  Or should that be the 300th?
You ARE more than a bit evasive on this, Ted, but we wish to appreciate the
event and to honor you appropriately.  And, in the end, enquiring minds
want to know!

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!