Subject: [Leica] Hurricanes and staying pat
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Sep 15 08:37:53 2004

I would advise anyone living south of Natchitoches to possibly plan a
visit with Sonny.  You really don't want to be within 200 miles of the
coast when Ivan hits.  Two hundred kilometer winds and a ten to twenty
foot storm swell mean destruction beyond belief.  Think of brick
buildings blown down, trees going through buildings, the gravel from the
tops of skyscrapers becoming buckshot blowing out all the windows which
in turn become lethal missiles flowing through anything in their path.

People stayed when Camille hit the gulf coast, people died.  See this
for some of what a truly powerful hurricane can do:

http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/homepages/roger_pielke/camille/gallery
.html

So for all my friends near the gulf coast, please pick up what you can
carry and get out of Dodge.  Humans think we are masters of destruction,
sit through a hurricane, tornado, or volcano and you will realize what
is truly powerful.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com