Subject: [Leica] OT - HP 7960 Ink Longevity vs. Original Peizo
From: benjaminmarks at verizon.net (Ben Marks)
Date: Fri Sep 10 06:06:11 2004

Benjamin Marks here with some permanance testing data-points. Although this
is off-topic, I know that some of you (Tina, at least) print using Jon
Cone's Peizo inks.  There has also been some recent excitement over HP's
7960 black and gray cartridges and the B&W print quality from that family of
printers

 On 1/5/04 I printed some test pictures on a friend's 7960 and cut the
prints in half. Incidentally, the initial quality of the three test images
that I printed was fabulous right out of the box (or rather, right off the
CD ROM [no manipulation required], which I provided to the printer's owner).
I do mean jaw-dropping.  One half was taped up in a West-facing window
(facing out), the other was put in a metal file cabinet away from the light.
Prints were on HP's paper which is one from the top of the line (not the
super premium heavy-weight stuff). As a control print I printed the same
picture on Ilford's Galerie matte single-weight paper with Jon Cone's Peizo
inks (first generation, the Sundance inks, I think). Today is September 6,
2004 so this is a nine-month report and given the results, I don't think
that it makes sense to continue with the test.

Both inkjet prints in the window showed noticable fading compared to their
control-halves. The HP inkjet print faded to a warm reddish brown. The paper
base yellowed considerably and the print shows noticable bleaching and loss
of contrast when compared to the control print. The HP ink on this print
also has a blotchy or mottled quality. The HP control print still shows
excellent tonal separation and contrast. Blacks are still blue-to-neutral
and the overall print quality is good.

The Peizo print also showed fading compared to its control half, with the
window print warming to a brown which I would compare to a brown-toned or
platinum print. This is similar to the stabilized tone of Peizo prints which
I have around the house framed under glass. The Ilford paper base showed
some warming, although not as much as the HP paper. To give you a sense of
how strong the sun is in a central Vermont west-facing window, I had jotted
some notes on the face of the Peizo print with a water-based Pilot "Precise"
roller-ball pen. Those comments have almost entirely faded and must be read
by tilting the paper to an angle to read the impression that the pen made on
the paper's surface.

In the final analysis, this may have been too harsh a test to yield any
useful results. I did not have a traditional silver print as a further
control or a C-print from a one hour lab. The direct light in the window was
strong enough that the only lesson to be taken away from this is "don't hang
your inkjet prints facing outward against the windows." Well, whoopie. No
one does that anyway and the treatment that I subjected both of these prints
to is harsher than any I would subject a traditional silver print to. The
good news is that the environmental contaminants in my home did not, by
themselves, cause noticeable degredation in either the HP print or the Peizo
print when kept under subdued light conditions. Another control print taped
to the wall or under glass and normal display conditions would have yielded
more practical results, I think. The head-to-head lesson in this test is the
edge in image permanance goes to the original Peizo carbon pigment inkset
over HP's inks for the 7960.

My own recommendation is that anyone using either of these printers give
careful thought to display and storage conditions of their prints.
Displaying prints in an environment with a lot of direct or reflected window
light is likely to lead to some print fading, with either inkset regardless
of the most optimistic claims put forward by an ink manufacturer.

Anyone with questions or comments may e-mail me at:

Benjamin-Marks-at-verizon-dot-net (no dashes at all when you type it all
out)

Best regards,

Ben

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] OT - HP 7960 Ink Longevity vs. Original Peizo)