Subject: [Leica] Trip to the Sequioas: analog and digital, like steel and wood
From: attinasi at mac.com (Marc Attinasi)
Date: Mon Sep 6 21:52:27 2004

My family took a nice week long vacation to see the giant Sequoia trees
in Central California, in the Sequoia National Park and surrounding
areas. I brought a digital camera, the Digital Rebel, an OM2 and M7,
along with an Olympus XA pocket camera that failed and had to be left
in the suitcase. It was 5 days of hiking, shooting, and generally
enjoying a chance to take pictures of beautiful things.

The DRebel performed beautifully and I had to recharge batteries only
once. That was great, and I filled 4 256K cards in 4 days had to shoot
only film the last day (no computer to transfer images to, which was
intentional). The digital was a blast to shoot with and I am growing
more and more fond of auto focus all the time ;-)  The M7 is like
second mature to me, I don't even think about the camera when I use it,
though the slide film was a bit darker than I expected so maybe I
better get back to thinking about the camera a bit! the AUTO mode has
spoiled me I think. The OM2, as always, worked great.

So now that the films have come back and the digital images have been
edited I have to say that for shooting environmental pictures,
landscapes and people in nature, digital is a far cry from film. True,
my digital camera is not the best, but then neither is my OM2, and the
images from the OM2 at 16" X 20" BLOW AWAY the digitals. Even at 8" X
12" the prints from the digital are nowhere near as smooth, bright or
crisp as those from the Fuji Reala negs or Provia slides, from either
the Leica or the Olympus.  For portraits of the family, the digital
does OK, particularly when I use a nice Canon L lens (or even the 50
prime), but for the nature shots... well I hate it!

But for ease of use, and for carrying around and shooting, the digital
is great. No film, no processing, and I can show the kids their picture
instead of the back of a camera after I take it (funny how kids always
want to see the picture after I take it, and how disappointed they are
when it is not there on the back of the camera) :-)  And scanning all
of this film is a total nightmare and will take me literally months...

The key is to use the right tool for the job. I have found over the
course of a week and about 500 shots that film is far superior to a 6MP
prosumer DSLR for nature shots. I'm fortunate to have both digital and
analog gear, but if I had to choose one, it would be the analog gear
for sure. I hope and pray that I can keep getting good film and good
processing for the rest of my life.

OK I'm done blabbering now. I wonder what other people think about all
of this?

Cheers!
- marc

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man) ([Leica] Trip to the Sequioas: analog and digital, like steel and wood)