Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 review pt posted - many samples
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:17 2004

B. D. Colen3/17/04

>Which is to
>say, what's your point?

My point is that if we wish to talk about the wide spectrum of
"professional" digital capture equipment, we must bring the
"top-of-the-line" into the discussion and I'm not talking about large format
here. If you review my post you'll note that I suggested that folks seek out
the Sinar M.

The Sinar M is a single lens reflex body which will take Nikon (or virtually
any other glass you wish to hang on it). It will also take the Sinarback 43s
which is a single shot 11 megapixel back. So we can discuss the merits along
with the other 11mp cameras - canon 1ds, kodak 14n, etc. I don't understand
why you'd come down on me for suggesting that there's stuff above and beyond
those we've thus far discussed - and which have some of the same specs
(while exceeding in some areas like: 11stop dynamic range, 14 bit per color
per channel, ASA 25-100) of those which we've been discussing for the last
year or two.

Sinar says of the 43s, "For fashion, portrait, nature and architectural
photography and all other moving subjects, the Sinarback 43 offers the ideal
combination of resolution, rectangular 35mm format, and rapid exposure
sequences. The sensor measures 36.0x24.0 and provides file sizes of up to
192 MB. Available in Firewire and FiberOptic versions."

Doesn't that describe much of the work that we discuss and view on the LUG?

And the Sinar M will also take the 54m which is a 22 megapixel back.

So
Sinar M $7,675 - no lens, no back.
Sinarback 43s - $18,845
Sinaron Digital 28mm 2.8 - $5,735
and only
11 megapixels
ASA 25-100

And I think you may still need to buy a viewfinder (it's all ala-carte).

Let's rant and rave about what a stupid, ridiculous thing these folks have
done to make such a thing available at such a ludicrous price. What do they
think they're doing?

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092