Subject: [Leica] PAW-Adam's Wk11 - Faces in the Crowd 2004
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:17 2004

On 3/17/04 <aaron.sandler@duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)> thoughtfully wrote:

>At 05:29 PM 3/16/2004, Adam showed:
>><http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004PAW/Wk11-TCN400-11-Faces-R1-crp-crv-shrp-crp2.jpg>
>
>Adam,
>
>I don't know why, but for some reason when I first looked at this I thought
>the girl in the middle was a cardboard cutout, or maybe a photoshop
>insertion.  I'm not suggesting that's what she is, but something about the
>flatness of her face and low contrast (compared to her father's) makes her
>look fake to me.
>
>Did you do anything in postprocessing (like dodging or adjusting contrast)
>differently for her than for her dad?
>
>Best,
>Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Actually the only changes I did to this image were global in nature, I did
nothing to the
girl's face at all. She is in the shadow of her father so she's in flat
light. And Jim
points out that she's set off from the background because of her hair. Also
this was with
a 35mm lens, stopped down, so there's no depth of field clues about her
either.

I absolutely see what you mean however and thanks for asking. Yet another
thing to be
aware of when working with groups.

Thank you!

Adam