Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 review pt posted - many samples
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:16 2004

F?lix L?pez de Maturana3/16/04

>Quite true Marc, but mind that you will need a better zoom that the one
>which comes with the Rebel and, then, price will be higher! And the pictures
>quality too.

Every one of these decisions involves trade-offs of one sort or another. My
Canon 10d has many wonderful features - not the least of which, for me - is
the use of my R lenses. However the viewfinder sucks big time (when compared
to R8) The 10d and 300d are obviously designed for AF and I'm simply not an
AF guy. In addition the 10d mirror slap is horrible. Again with the R8 I can
easily expect respectable sharpness at 1/60 and 1/125th. With the 10d it
seems that I must be shooting at 1/180th for the same levels of sharpness
(or use mirror lockup function).

All this talk of feature for dollar for pixel for chip size for whatevever -
doesn't do much until you get down to doing "our" work and discovering how
the tool fits into our own hands, work-flow, and end-product quality
expectations.

I have owned Olympus and Fuji and Leica digital point-n-shoots, a $7,500
Leaf scanning camera, now the $1,500 10d. I have rented the 1ds. I have
rented $22,000 one shot medium format backs (and yes they deliver a file
incomperable by anything lesser in terms of color fidelity, fine detail, et
al). None of them work as easily, flawlessly, comfortably and deliver the
consistent deep and wide quality as a fine film camera of the same size
loaded with slow "chrome". All of them do what they were designed to do
extremely well (as will the Leica Digilux 2 by all accounts - whether you
like the price or not). JUST TOOLS - JUST MONEY FOLKS. Listening to folks
knock a piece of photo gadgetry because the price seems a bit high - in a
group where spending $1 or $2K on a watch which does not keep time as well
as $20 digital - just throws my mind for a loupe. My little Saturn does
"almost" everything your big BMW does at fraction of the price and operating
cost - so what?

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092