Subject: [Leica] I'm back and resubscribed
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Thu Sep 2 18:04:31 2004

> This was exactly my experience. IBM disks, when they fail,
> fail suddenly and catastrophically and your data is gone
> forever. They also seem to be much more heat-sensitive than
> the other brands. I think that if you keep an IBM disk at 10
> Celsius it is much less likely to fail.

...no problem here!!  The the thermometre here just went below 10 when the
sun set.
"Crisp fall evenings" are upon us who inhabit the high latitutes.

---------------begin---------------
Text Forecast  from  Environment Canada
St John's: Issued 4.00 PM NDT Thursday 2 September 2004
Tonight .. Cloudy periods. Wind northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming
southwest 30 near midnight. Low 7.
-------------end-------------------------

If I need to cool down my server I just open the window.

> Maxtor disks are fine unless you do a lot of reading from
> them. Writing they can handle, but if you spend 12 hours
> reading from a Maxtor disk with no let-up (as, say, a search
> engine like Google would be wont to do), the disk controller
> may well get so hot that it will desolder itself and some of
> the chips fall out.

Thats a cheery thought as I look at 80 gigs of image files on my IBM server!

Greg (The Chilly) Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland