Subject: [Leica] Sony dig sans stick slugs sockets
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Sep 1 15:49:06 2004

> As it turns out, I am due to replace my aging
> digital P&S (a Canon G1 which started the
> whole digital photography thing for me
> four years ago, already).  This Sony DSC V3
> with the large LCD screen and Zeiss lens,
> is on the short list,  together with the Canon G6,
> (f2 lens, flip out not-too-small LCD screen)
> and perhaps the Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom.
> I would love to have the Epson R-D1, but money
> speaks, so I would just shut up.  :-)
>
> I tend to prefer small cameras in chrome, and
> large cameras in black.   I slightly prefer the Leica
> M in chrome (though I have a black M6), and
> don't think I would enjoy the look of a black
> Leica IIIg, say.
>
> - Phong

Comparing small chip glorified point and shoots to a full sized chip
interchangeable lenses body? Or equating rather.
You can compare them and put one in the apples category and one with the
oranges.

If money spoke louder than words how many people would be on the Leica list?
Well plenty on second thought as Leica gear makes a much better investment
both as a money retain value thing as well as a use thing.

Why would so many of us shell out $1650 for a LEICA ELMARIT-M 24 mm f/2.8
ASPH. when we could just do the "smart thing" and go for a 24mm f/2.8D AF
Nikkor for $300?

Both when you take a picture with them of Harry will still give you a
picture of Harry.

Or 4 24 Nikors with change left over?
Stacked together make a 96mm short tele!

And we know this is by for no where near to an extreme example.

There are lots of reasons to go Leica and forgoe normal budget consideration
and think on the long term.
And its often glass.

For some of us with a modern working system of Leica M glass we are getting
this body at a great deal. Not that much if at all more than a new M film
body. An MP or 7.

To enable our entire M system digitally? Its a no brainer.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/