Subject: [Leica] Focomat V35
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Aug 31 22:30:57 2004

At 8:56 PM -0700 8/31/04, Mark Rabiner wrote:

><snip>

>And there are enlarger lenses which stop down not with a variable aperture
>with leaves, "the leaves" but with plates with perfect holes in them.
>Why This kind of thing is a big deal for enlarger optics over camera optics
>why I don't know. Maybe Erwin does. Or Richard Knoppow of the RUG. Or one of
>US even! Tom A?!

A perfectly circular stop ('Waterhouse' stop) has the least edge
length for the amount of light passing, so diffraction effects are at
their minimum. Diffraction is more of an issue in enlarging that
taking, as a print with sharp grain and slightly diffuse objects
looks 'sharper' than a picture that doesn't have sharp grain. f/22,
and even f/16 can kill sharp grain in a print.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Focomat V35)