Subject: [Leica] RE: External hard disk for backup - which ?
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue Aug 31 13:36:34 2004

Hi BD and everyone else,

    BD> Thanks, Spencer. I have to admit I have always been very, very
    BD> casual about the idea of backup - in fact I've really never
    BD> done it. But now that my computer is my 'negative cabinet' I
    BD> have to get serious about it.

For cost effectiveness, convenience and speed of transfer, very few
backup media will beat a Firewire/USB2 external hard disk.

One thing all of you need to remember is to test restoring your
backups in case of system failure (especially DVD/CD or tape) or check
the content on the backup frequently. Hard disks are better than
CD/DVD or tape for this as there is built-in integrity checking but
still....

Did I mention one should make backups regularly? :) Once a day is
great. Once a week is acceptable. Once a month is far too
infrequent. It comes down to how much work can you afford to loose if
your PC/Mac gets stolen/destroyed/crashes.

This is one of the wonder of the technology age :(

Regards
Spencer

Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] RE: External hard disk for backup - which ?)