Subject: [Leica] Cheap HCB book
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue Aug 31 13:14:37 2004

At the time of HCB's death I ordered a book I had been wanting for some
time:  "Henri Cartier-Bresson: the man, the image and the world -- a
retrospective."  (431pp., Thames and Hudson, 2003)

The online price was less than 70 USD ( at www.photoeye.com).

I have many other HCB books, but this one is by far the best I've seen.  It
covers the full span of the work and has several essays by excellent
commentators, as well as a number of photos of him throughout his
life.  Particularly interesting are the works of his peak surrealist years
(1932-34) and the later works of journalism in post-WWII Europe and
Asia.  Beautifully printed in Italy.  A real bargain, IMO.   Still
inspiring after all these years.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108