Subject: [Leica] Europe photos
From: hellman at comcast.net (Jesse Hellman)
Date: Sat Aug 28 02:10:02 2004

Those pictures are interesting, for sure. The Leica rangefinder cameras
are better for this find of work, too, because they don't create the
reaction of a large SLR - perhaps because they are so similar in
appearance to point-and-shoots.

Do you speak Japanese, Karen? Your Japanese portfolio has an intimacy
about it that implies that (I would not presume that you do because of
your name. Few Americans with German last names speak German).

I found in my trips, however, that being perceived as a foreigner (and
this distinct from not speaking the language) helps people relax and not
feel threatened. This is probably more true for male photographers,
though. And maybe in different cultures this works in different ways (is
this a cultural anthropology post?).

The ideal might be to be able to speak the language but imperfectly
enough to not be threatening.

Any LUGers have thoughts on this?

Jesse

Replies: Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Europe photos)