Subject: [Leica] BW scans on the cheap
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri Aug 27 14:41:34 2004

After seeing some images shot with Fuji Neopan 400 posted here and
elsewhere I?ve wanted to try it out.  However, being without a film scanner
or darkroom I couldn?t see much point in it.  Finally I decided to develop
a roll myself and take it to Walgreen?s for scanning on their Fuji Frontier
machine.  I was pretty pleased with the result, especially for the price of
$3 for 36 images on a CD, and one-hour service to boot.  The scans are
lo-res (1200x1800) but they look great on the monitor and also when printed
on Ilford Pearl inkjet paper with an Epson 880.  I?ve posted a couple of
images here (no prize-winners ? this was a test roll).  Technical info:
Leica IIIc, 35/2.5 CV lens, Neopan 400 developed in ZonalPro GammaPlus 1:12
(phenidone-based formula).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Phils-LTM-photos/baseball2
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Phils-LTM-photos/Minnie2

To me this looks like a very viable option for digitizing negatives in a
pinch when you don?t have a film scanner, assuming you don?t need large
prints.  I?d definitely do it again.  Comments welcome and appreciated.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085