Subject: [Leica] how Cornell Capa got his name
From: QWhoZeiss at aol.com (QWhoZeiss@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 17:03:45 2004

Hello--In your note about Robert Capa, you almost have it right.  When
Robert
went to Paris, he meet Gerda(Pohorylles)Taro in September 1934, fell in love
the summer of 1935.  In the spring of 1937 he asked her to marry him, she
said
no.  Then on 26 July 1937 she was killed.  Becoming the first woman
photographer ever killed in battle.  She was barried in Paris on 01 Aug 37.
Her 27th
birthday.

My information comes from Cornell Capa.  He and I have been friend since
1960.  He was my ASMP sponcer that year.  We are working on a new show of
Robert
work, which will open September 05.  Richard Whelan, Capa's biographer is
doing
a new book with many photos that have never been seen before.

If you know anyone or a company that would like to help underwrite the book
and show have them contact me.

T. Mike Fletcher
314-504-6347
QWhoZeiss@aol.com