Subject: [Leica] Calatrava's Sundial Bridge
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Aug 20 14:30:27 2004

Oliver showed:

> On a recent trip to Ashland I stopped in Redding to see the recently
> completed Sundial Bridge, designed by the architect Santiago Calatrava.
IMO
> it is a remarkable structure, and my photographs do not adequately convey
> its elegance and the way it harmonizes with its environment. A few images,
> made with M6 and Elmarit 24mm/f2.8 ASPH on Kodak BW400CN, some with an
> orange 22 filter, are at:
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/obryk/folder-7143.html  <<<<<<<

Hi Oliver,
Very good effort as it's a magical kind of bridge to shoot.

However, I think on a couple of them they would've been better served with a
21 or 15! The long shadow vertical with the tip missing off the top I bet
would've been improved with a wider angle lens. It seems like it's an
"Oops!" kind of shot where you chopped by accident and it immediately
creates the question, "why did he chop the top?"

I like those when you are tighter to the structural portion rather than
getting back farther as an overall kind of shot. Nevertheless they're
interesting and I just think this kind of situation demands the widest lens
possible on an M... the CV 15 or I bet it would be as wild as all get out
with the 12! Now there you go eh, get a 12 and re-shoot! ;-)  Then you'd
have everyone blown out of the water with super magical photographs. :-)

ted