Subject: [Leica] Wadenhoe Northamptonshire #6 ( 2 shots )
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Mon Aug 16 00:42:56 2004

From: "JAMES NICHOLS" <nicholsj@edge.net>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
Sent: 16 August 2004 02:29
Subject: RE: [Leica] Wadenhoe Northamptonshire #6 ( 2 shots )

> Graham,
> Beautiful work once more.   Each time I marvel at your work, with both
> foreground and distance in perfect focus, I wonder to myself what lens
> opening you typically use for these images.  The depth of field is
amazing.
> Would you care to share your secret with us?  Do you typically use a
> tripod, or are these shots hand-held?
> Jim Nichols
>
> > 2 shots
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Leica/Wadenhoe_06.htm

---------------------

Hi James,

I set up at hyperfocal distance and make sure the nearest thing in the frame
is the necessary distance away from me ( 10ft @ f8, 5ft @ f16 with the
35mm). I usually have a filter on which can cost me as much as 3 stops so I
am often using 30th sec shutter speed and if it is bright enough to reduce
the exposure I will choose a smaller aperture for more depth rather than a
faster shutter speed for stability.

The 50mm pushes that near focus distance out a bit but it is not so much of
a problem because it is usually on the M2 loaded with colour film. No filter
make smaller apertures available.

A bit of elevation has helped in these shots. I was on a footbridge crossing
an overflow and although I was only two or three feet above the water I took
the opportunity to angle the camera down to increase the sense of depth.

I hope that helps. If I have left any questions unanswered I will be happy
to try to answer them. Thanks for looking

I also shot it with a 21mm, purists beware its an Olymp*s shot :-)

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Olympus/Wadenhoe_07.htm

--Graham

Replies: Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Wadenhoe Northamptonshire #6 ( 2 shots ))
Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Wadenhoe Northamptonshire #6 ( 2 shots ))