Subject: [Leica] I could have done that
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Sun Aug 15 18:29:32 2004

On Aug 15, 2004, at 8:24 AM, Jeffery Smith wrote:
> That sort of thing annoys me. We had a student gallery a few years ago.
> One male student tacked a 4-foot piece of Cut-Rite wax paper to the
> wall
> and put a price tag of $32,000 on it. But that isn't what annoyed me.
> What annoyed me is that he got an "A" for the project. What the
> professor thought was a stroke of genius I thought was a stroke of
> laziness coupled with smart ass.

It was a student, they're (we're) built to be slackers and smartasses.
I hear a lot of arguments (most completely valid) about horrible
student art projects - but is it really that different from the poli
sci student turning a lazy paper or the business admin student slapping
together a business plan at the last second? Art students can be
annoying and pretentious, but they take a lot of undeserved flak from
the culture-at-large compared to other students.

Are you sure that the student above wasn't making a statement about how
ridiculous the status and economics of contemporary art can be? Banal,
but less bizarre than a student actually thinking he could pull $32k.

Replies: Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] I could have done that)