Subject: [Leica] Chromes get more grainy with underexposure too
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Aug 13 16:49:23 2004

George Lottermoser wrote:

> Jonathan Borden8/13/04

> Saved for what use?
> The shadows look purple and lack detail.
> The skin tone looks awful.
>
> As a memorable moment in the personal journal - perhaps saved?

Perhaps 'saved' is too strong a description. If you see where this
badly exposed chrome taken under very harsh lighting conditions
(perhaps a HID streetlight, I can't recall) started from (this an
optimal scan), there was zero detail in the hair and heavy shadows in
the face and eyes. Here's the before and after:

http://jborden.org/etc/index.cgi/photos/paris-91.html

This wasn't at all intended to be a memorable moment, rather it was
intended to be colorfully harsh and gritty. In any case I scanned this
to for a couple of reasons:

1) to see how much shadow detail could be pulled out of an underexposed
slide.
2) to test the wide gamut limits of the scanner -- the yellows are more
intense than in most other slide I could easily find.

So I guess that as a standalone its just a bad picture. Perhaps I was
too affected by the before and after...

Jonathan