Subject: [Leica] Hasselblad takes over Imacon
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Fri Aug 13 04:55:33 2004

....how might this affect Leica's development of its digital back's and M's?
Were they not working with Imacon?

A BRAVE NEW WORLD:
Hasselblad and Imacon merge to take on the professional digital market

PRESS RELEASE

Shriro Sweden, the holding company of Victor Hasselblad AB, and part of the
Hong Kong-headquartered Shriro Group, has announced the acquisition of
leading international high-end scanner and digital cameraback manufacturer,
Imacon. The move will see Imacon and Hasselblad merge to accelerate
Hasselblad's ambitions in the professional digital photographic sector, and
creates the first single source supplier for digital photography at the top
end of the professional photographic market.

Christian Poulsen, founder of Imacon, and CEO of the newly-enlarged
Hasselblad says: "Hasselblad has long been synonymous with quality in the
field of analogue photography and Imacon is recognised as leading the way in
terms of innovative technologies in the high-end digital photographic
sectors.

"This new company presents us with tremendous opportunities moving forward
and is the most exciting development in the field of professional digital
photography for many years. It will significantly lower the barriers to
entry and allow more photographers than ever before to realise the quality,
versatility and performance of our high-end digital solutions."

Says Lars Pappila, managing director of Hasselblad's Swedish HQ: "The
professional photographic market has truly entered the digital age and
Hasselblad needed to further develop its digital offering to ensure it
maintains its leading position in the photographic sector. We had been
working closely with Imacon on developing professional digital solutions for
the Ixpress digital camera back and the Hasselblad H1. During this process
we discovered a number of natural synergies between the two companies.

"We both share a similar culture of passion for quality based on strong core
Scandinavian business values and recognise the extraordinary benefits of
combining our respective experience in these fields. Using a combination of
leading edge technology and strong photographic heritage, the new
organisation will enable us to increase the digitisation for Hasselblad
customers, and introduce new customers to truly advanced professional
digital solutions."

Mr Poulsen concludes: "Both companies are committed to producing the highest
quality products and the integration of established technological expertise
and vision will ensure we maximise penetration for both new and existing
products in the marketplace. The newly enlarged Hasselblad is the only
company in the market today that can not only optimise the quality and value
of the captured image, but also dramatically increase the pleasure of
capturing the image itself - the true essence of all photography."

ENDS

Press contacts:
Paul Spiers
Senior Account Director