Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 12 22:28:56 2004

Brian Reid offered:
> My parents didn't understand the value of my vacuum tube collection and
threw it away while I was away at college. They missed one 7C24 tube, which
I still have, and it's as beautiful a lump of glass as you can imagine.
Sigh.<<<<<<

Hi Brian,
Not Leica's nor vacuum tubes, but Sport's Illustrated magazine covers. A
near disaster!

My oldest son had been collecting for close to 25 years the cover from every
SI magazine he was subscribed to. And when we moved across the country from
Ottawa to Victoria they some how were mixed in with all the other stuff.

Well about a year ago I was in a "clean the place out" and dump everything
with no use as far as I was concerned. Seemed reasonable when I get in an
ugly mood! ;-)

So big box, seemed like it weighed a ton and I opened it. "What the hell is
this?" Like it had been brought several thousand miles across country, put
on a deep shelf in the back work shop and not opened for close to 25 years!
;-) SI covers! OK get rid of these! Out the door ready for salvage re-cycle
pick-up.

A half hour later number one son comes in and says... "hey dad we're going
to use those Sport's Illustrated covers I collected when I was a kid for one
wall of our new rec room. Do you know where they are?"

GULP! "yep out side waiting for the recycle guys to pick-up!" He's out the
door in a flash just as they are loading other stuff into the truck! :-)
Rescued, my good fortune as I'd not be typing this at the moment if they
were gone. He's much bigger than I! ;-)

Anyway sometimes keepsakes are saved as in this case, and you have my
sympathies in your tube loss!

ted

Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] more questions)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] more questions)