Subject: [Leica] WAS: decline in LUG membership NOW: Comparison questions
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 12 09:30:46 2004

Emanuel Lowi asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] decline in LUG membership

 > I have a few questions for the many people in this
> group who have adopted the digital technology in
> substantial ways during the past year, but who were
> previously mostly Leica M users.
>
> 1) How does the act of photographing with your digital
> equipment compare with your prior experience of the
> act of photography with your Leica M? By this, I mean
> the "groove" you get into when shooting; your ability
> to get inside the moment while still recording it;
> your ability to detect a picture instinctively and
> then react to get it; your ability to work without
> thinking about your equipment while events are
> unfolding; your enjoyment of taking pictures.

1 reply:
I don't feel there's any change to getting in a "groove" because I'm using a
digital camera as I've always been a re-action to the motivating moment
shooter, so the digilux 2 hasn't changed that in any way. I don't think
about the equipment, M7's, R8's nor Digilux 2. because if you're wasting
mental neurons thinking equipment you're not concentrating on the most
important element...." the action / scene before you."

I suppose the enjoyment factor is the instant gratification of being able to
see your efforts immediately when you have a break from the scene. Other
than that, digital is just another camera, tool if you like and I feel way
too much time is spent thinking about all the electronic stuff instead of
concentrating on image content. And quite honestly I don't see a huge jump
in photographic image content quality due to digital.

> 2) How satisfied are you with the final results you
> get with your digital gear, compared to what you got
> with your Leica M. This is a big one, so consider the
> actual technical quality of the pics vs. what you may
> have been getting with, say, your various choices of
> colour slide film: colour quality and tonality,
> sharpness, the WOW factor.<<<<<<<

2 reply:
Well this is the way I work. I'm not a tester compare kinda shooter. Yep
I'll take a couple of looks but to me it's use the gear and if you're happy
with it and the results, then why screw around clicking one camera and back
to another when nothing is locked down on test bench controlled conditions?

I know some guys get off on this stuff, good for them. Me? Hell shoot a
bunch of stuff, make prints and if you are blown away with what you see what
the hell else do you need to do?

Quite frankly the results from the Canon G5 and the Digilux 2 have been
quite amazing printing 12X18" images on 13X19 paper. I now prefer the
Digilux 2 over the Canon G5 purely from using them and sure as hell not
comparing them side by each! Once again we do not shoot a film frame, then a
digi frame make comparisons, we're not techie people as we're pure "eyeball
looks good or bad folks."

The "WOW" factor still falls into the "damn look at that!" when viewing the
screen moments after the exposure was made! I suppose I'll get over that,
but after 53 years of film, shoot, soup, print, look later. This
instantaneous thing is really the big "WOW!" ;-)

 > 3) Do the final results you get come to you with less
> or more effort than what you had to go through before:
> buying and carrying and loading and rewinding film,
> dropping it off at a lab and then picking up your
> slides a couple of hours later, vs. the battery
> management issues and time spent Photoshopping at the
> computer. <<<

3 reply:
There isn't any question digi is faster. Just as the M6 - M7 or R8-9 with
batteries, it's never been a concern because organized photographers have
spares in their pocket or bag, so battery worry for digital whatever model
is a no brainer if you're organized and use common sense about your
equipment. And any photographer who leaves home without new or freshly
charged batteries is an idiot !

Yes there's an element of extra time for PS, not on every shot. But then on
"wet tray" printing my goodness it took ages to get some prints as perfect
as you wanted. I think the element of PS time can be minimized right at the
beginning when the exposure is made! When using the digital camera, even
with all it's auto capabilities use it in similar fashion to an M7 where
"you see, think, compose and shoot" the PhotoShop time can be minimized.

It's called take your time, as a moment taken can relate to hours saved
later!

If anything with a digital camera I believe there's potential to "shoot
frivolously" because it's not wasting film nor having the extra cost for
processing. "Chimp on the screen" that's edit and delete, so it didn't work,
no big deal! Shoot it again move on and press the button again. No cost....
no loss!

I'm sure in many cases using PS because changes can be made to a shot
electronically, a photog will be more analytical and begin screwing around
removing this, that and other things he or she missed when the initial
exposures were made. And that's where the "major time factor" adds to the
perception Photoshop creates the idea it takes longer than wet tray.

However, how often have you had a 100 print order of the same neg and been
able to set your wet trays to make them, walk away have a cold beer,
returning to have them ready to go? ;-) Now compare that to digital printer.
Set print on screen, prepare printer, load paper and walk away! ;-) Come
back and there they are ready to package and send! ;-)

> 4) How do you feel, after being M users, now being electronic SLR
users?<<<,

4 reply:
I haven't made the move to DSLR yet as I'm waiting to see what the new R8-9
back will be like. But having worked with Leica SLR's and M's for years I
don't see any difference going digital SLR.

5) Is it really worth it? What does your heart-of-hearts tell you?<<<<<

Well I'm a complete emotional jerk in real life and about it, but equipment
changes and heart emotions? Hell no, do you get heart palpitations when you
put a set of new Michelin tires on your car? Naw! ;-)

All this camera - printer film - digi card changing is merely an evolution
of time and tools, so it's no big deal and one should just roll with it,
accept them as improvements in our craft. Some will move along, accept them
and do magical work. Others will whine and cry "the end of the photographic
world as we've known it for a 150 years!"

So what, no big deal! It's evolution from cave rock drawings to electronic
memory card drawings!

Aren't there still wonderful horses to ride after all the years the
automobile has been around? And in another 150 years somewhere film will
still be for those absolute die hard Leica folks to use! ;-)

I trust this answers your questions Emanuel mon ami. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] WAS: decline in LUG membership NOW: Comparison questions)
Reply from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] Leica/Digital - heresy?)