Subject: [Leica] decline in LUG membership...answers to questions
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed Aug 11 11:41:01 2004

>1) How does the act of photographing with your digital
>equipment compare with your prior experience of the
>act of photography with your Leica M?

It doesn't compare anymore than eating cool fruits on a hot day compares
with eating hot vegetables on a cold day. Different from 'M' in almost every
regard.

Digital DSLR or Digilux1: Checking one's work along the way - wonderful,
offering something akin to polaroid. The ability to alter speed as needed -
wonderful. The ability to control color balance - wonderful. The groove
varies according to the task. Sometimes manual everything. Sometimes auto
everything. The quality of visual information recorded: unique, plasticy,
new, interesting.

M - Concentration on focus and framing. May or may not have it in the can.
Won't know til later. The groove: once film is loaded always comes to
focus-frame-shoot. Have to choose and know the film in advance to
previsualize the print.

>your ability to detect a picture instinctively and
>then react to get it; your ability to work without

This 'groove' I think has more to do with becoming familiar with the
equipment - no matter what type. The groove with the 4x5 technika differs
from the 8x10 deardorff differs from the blad differs from the leica-m
differs from the leica-r differs from the canon dslr differs from the
digilux-1. All become instinctive after learning the tool.

>thinking about your equipment while events are
>unfolding; your enjoyment of taking pictures.

Love them all when I've made the right choice for the circumstances.
Sometimes I find myself making a choice which feels uncomfortable. Which is
why I travel with 'too' much crap most of the time.

>2) How satisfied are you with the final results you
>get with your digital gear, compared to what you got
>with your Leica M.

Again - Different. Just very different. Depending on the image content -
sometimes I prefer the digital capture rendition. Other times I prefer the
film capture rendition. In general - I prefer the look of film - I think
because I'm old and used to it. The digital often looks too smooth and
plasticy to my sensibility. However that look can appear very flattering
while retaining a sense of texture.

>sharpness, the WOW factor.

Unfortunately, as medium and large format departs from our midst, the
comparison and contrast begins to deteriorate in folks memory. If you want
to see WOW pull out the 8x10 chromes and the ceba prints made from them. By
the same token if you want to see WOW pull a lamda print from a 160mbyte
BetterLight scan back or from one of the new 22megapixel backs.

>3) Do the final results you get come to you with less
>or more effort than what you had to go through before:
>buying and carrying and loading and rewinding film,
>dropping it off at a lab and then picking up your
>slides a couple of hours later, vs. the battery
>management issues and time spent Photoshopping at the
>computer.

You're attempting to compare the incomparable. Without a doubt nothing
compares with a manual, meterless (batteryless) Leica M with one lens and
loaded with a roll of ASA 100 or less film. It stands alone as uniquely
simple, light, small, functional, tough, able, high quality and intuitive
imaging tool. So what?

>4) How do you feel, after being M users, now being
>electronic SLR users?

I feel just fine. Yesterday evening I did a portrait using the 4x5 Technika.
Spent 15 minutes setting up and exposed one frame then folded it up. I loved
it. I also look forward to standing in the darkroom and rocking that tray
with that one sheet of film and hoping that I have it. I look forward to
turning on the light and seeing that negative. Nothing compares to that
experience.

Having always used slr for long lenses, and view cameras and blads - the
question seems mute. My blacksmith friends have to litterally make tools to
accomplish a particular task or effect. Tom Latan? created 20 different
hammers to make one scupture. Seth Tyler uses an hydrolic hammer. I've
always felt the same way about photography. What do you want to say? What
end result do you need accomplish? These questions determine the tools.

>5) Is it really worth it?

Is what worth what?
I love images and what they can communicate. I love print making. I love
paintings.

>What does your heart-of-hearts tell you?

My heart tells me to keep working. Keep thinking. Keep looking. Keep
experimenting to find my visual voice to express myself and express the
needs of my clients and my students.

And if someone said to me, "You can only have one camera and one lens for
the rest of your natural life." I think it would be the old beat up Technika
with 135mm 3.5 xenotar. It can do just about everything with a unique and
wonderful quality. If told I could have two bodies and one lens for each -
I'd add an M7 with 35lux asph. If told I could have 3 I'd add a canon 1ds
with a 14-75 2.8.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092