Subject: [Leica] monsoon time...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 10 19:38:32 2004

Simon said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] monsoon time...

> We are not strapped to 400 tons all off the time.
> And then in a small agile bird with high wing loading it,s quite fun to
get
> close .One can really see just a wingtip disappear in one and the canyons
> and portals are just amazing to play around .True a lightning strike on a
> windscreen gets your heartrate up for a while but it,s worth it.<<<

Hi Simon,
>>and the canyons and portals are just amazing to play around .<<<<<<<

On an assignment out of the Congo flying in C130's hauling 45 gallon oil
drums from Leopoldville to Lusake after the Belgian's pulled out of the
Congo we flew around through and in the most incredible cloud formations one
can imagine.

The "canyons " were enormous as we flew through them and could see a couple
of our C130's ahead of us at, I beleive we we're around 40,000 feet! ? Quite
an incredible and thrilling experince. I wanted the pilot to close with the
other planes so I could shoot some close-ups in relation to plane and
canyons.

However, he couldn't be convinced.;-) Airforce pilots sometimes don't want
the potential of wrecking government property! ;-) I told him I'd buy him a
few beers if he did it! ;-) Nope! This was "no guts Gord!" Hell it was only
a C130 and not a '47! ;-)

But it sure would've made beautiful photographs. The unfortunate part was,
I'd left my anti-gravity belt and extra oxygen tank at the hotel so I
couldn't get out and fly along on my own! ;-)

Oh well it's better to have seen it and enjoyed one of Mother Natures
beauties than never to have seen it all.

ted

.

Replies: Reply from masonster at gmail.com (David Mason) ([Leica] monsoon time...)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] monsoon time...)