Subject: [Leica] Be prepared!!
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Wed Aug 4 23:07:09 2004

>There is nothing else that sounds like a Rolls Royce Merlin engine, not
>even the license built Allisons sound like one.  Likewise a Wasp radial
>engine has its unique melody.

I understand perfectly. Beside of Robins AFB which adjoins the city of
Warner Robins, GA, is the Air Museum. As one approaches the back gate to
the base on Russell Parkway there's a bridge that passes over Hiway 247.
As you top the bridge you can look into the Air Museum and the first
plane that catches the eye is a C-124 cargo aircraft....... Ol' Shakey.
If it's engines were to spring to life and I was far away but within
earshot of it, I'd know those engines anywhere, anytime. I can close my
eyes and hear the squeal of the brakes - a very unique sound made only
by Shakey - as one taxies by and I can still see the Flight Engineer
with half his body through the overhead hatch illuminating the wingtips
at night with a high-powered spotlight so the Pilot could gage his
clearance. I spent 24 years in aircraft maintenace as a Radar Technician
and that was the first plane I ever worked on....... in early 1966. I
believe I could still troubleshoot and fix the navigation systems on
that plane if I had to.

Anyone who likes airplanes would enjoy a visit to the Air Museum at
Robins. Anyone who has the opportunity to visit England would enjoy the
museum at RAF Duxford.

Walker