Subject: [Leica] Colorado photos
From: mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler)
Date: Tue Aug 3 03:07:10 2004

Sure thing, Doug; I was hoping you'd see that one.  Glad to *help* anyway I
can...  ;-)

The shot of the ptarmigan was taken just short of Columbine Lake, our day
hike turnaround point about 6 miles NNW of Silverton, CO.  Starting
elevation for the hike was 9,730 feet, while the ptarmigan was located
around 12,500 feet (a little below the lake itself at 12,693).  Topo maps
show two routes to the lake; one from Telluride that looks somewhat shorter,
and the longer one (the one we took) from the Silverton side.

What did we do to get so close to the bird?  Nothing.  We just stumbled
across it by pure accident, with both parties being equally surprised.  We
froze and the bird froze, and nobody moved for a minute or two.  Then the
ptarmigan saw a bug and ate it, and I began to slowly take a series of
shots, this one being the closest and last of the bunch.  Truly, I was close
enough to have caught it with my bare hands if I had a mind to, and it acted
real friendly towards us the entire time.

We also flushed a small bird off her alpine nest.  Didn't see what she was,
but this is her nest, if you're interested:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Colorado/crw_2181c_std.jpg

Being the monsoon season there, figure on drenching rain occurring on a
daily basis, generally between 1:00 and 4:00 pm.  As you can see from the
two shots before and after the ptarmigan, we had some real threatening skies
during the entire climb, but the rain held off until we were safely back to
the car.

Regards,

Mitch